Friday, October 23, 2009

October 16, 2009




Benjamin Stephen was born Friday, October 16, 2009 at 11:59am.

We arrived at Methodist Hospital at 6am. They were waiting for us and remembered we were the ones that were sent away on Wednesday when the scheduled induction got postponed. Since our paperwork was all done, we pretty much just strolled into labor and delivery. The nurse looked up my history and was pretty nervous that should would have to deliver our baby and she did not want that to happen. They said things like, "once she goes into labor, she goes fast," etc. I wasn't really feeling much by way of contractions, but I decided this time to go ahead and get an epidural early. Every other time my babies were born before the epidural had gone into full effect. (Having an early epidural is the way to go--I now know!!!)



I read my book, Stephen "tweeted" and we had a pretty enjoyable morning. When they'd come to check on me, they'd say "still smiling?" Yep!

The nurse came back from her break and said, "shall we sit you up and get things started?" And I said I didn't think that would be necessary, because the baby was ready to be born. She checked, confirmed, and started to slow things down the best she could as she tried to find the doctor. They were prepped for me, but no doc. So, they pulled a random Dr. in from another area and told me not to move, as this baby was crowning. (No kidding! It was kind of embarrassing to be told NOT to move or thinking of rolling over--I was on my side.) Just in the nick of time my doctor arrived and delivered the baby. The nurse was so relieved!

The BIG news was that he weighed 10 lbs. 2 oz. and was 21 inches long. I guess he just wanted to outdo his siblings. I kept telling everyone how huge I was feeling!! I was ridiculously large. I knew it. Steve knew it. Now baby Benjamin proved it!

I felt so much relief to have him out, safe and healthy. Bringing Benjamin into this world will be a mission of faith. The pregnancy wasn't easy, but it was better than I expected. My doctors were able to regulate my medications and keep the pregnancy as uneventful as possible. I have been humbled by this particular pregnancy experience and I am very thankful for the support of our friends and family, particularly Stephen. Most of all, I thank our Heavenly Father for blessing us with this sweet baby. Early in this pregnancy I knew I couldn't do it alone. I simply can't. I will pray every day to be a good mother for him and for our other children.

If my life were an ice cream sundae, Benjamin would be my cherry on top. How sweet it is!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Congratulations, Texans! We're thrilled for you! 10+ pounds, what a whopper! He's sure handsome.

Natalie said...

Congratulations! We can't wait to meet him. 10 pounds? He's a toddler already!

Tales of an Alaskan Housewife said...

Congratulations! What a handsome young man. I can't wait to meet him. Now rest! See you soon.

Nell and Jeff said...

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you!! He is a cutie!!

Emmie-Lew said...

He's gorgeous! What a babe! Can't wait to meet him!